Swain House Primary School
Headteacher: Mrs Dianne Richardson

Parents  »  SEND information report (Local Offer)

Swain House Primary School

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Report

Swain House Primary School is committed to offering an inclusive curriculum to ensure the best possible progress for all our pupils whatever their needs or abilities. We are a fully inclusive school who strives to ensure that all pupils achieve their potential: personally, socially, emotionally and academically in all areas of the curriculum (regardless of their gender, ethnicity, social background, religion, sexual identity, physical ability or educational needs).


At Swain House Primary School, we recognise that all children are different and unique; therefore their needs are individual and unique.


This document is intended to give information regarding the ways in which we ensure we support all of our pupils, including those with SEND, in order that they can realise their full potential. It may not list every skill, technique and resource we employ in order to achieve this as these are continually developed and used to modify our provision to meet the changing requirements for individual pupils. We are committed to early identification of SEND through a range of assessment tools, and to collaboration with all agencies and stakeholders.


Safeguarding Statement


At Swain House Primary School, we are committed to providing a caring, friendly and safe environment for all of our pupils so they can learn in a relaxed and secure atmosphere. We believe every pupil should be able to participate in all school activities in an enjoyable and safe environment and be protected from harm. This is the responsibility of every adult employed by, or invited to deliver services at, Swain House Primary School. We recognise our responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of all our pupils by protecting them from physical, sexual or emotional abuse, neglect and bullying.


Equality Statement


We have carefully considered and analysed the impact of this report on equality and the possible implications for pupils with protected characteristics, as part of our commitment to meet the Public Sector Equality Duty requirement to have due regard to the need to eliminate discrimination, advance equality of opportunity and foster good relations.


This information report provides information and guidance for parents, staff and Governors on our approach to the provision and additional support required by the SEND Code of Practice for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities as set out in the 2014, Children and Families Act. The Code of Practice states the rights and duties introduced by the Special Educational Needs & Disability and Equality Act 2010.


What is a special need or disability?


A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability, which calls for additional and different provision to be made for them.


A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:


  • has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age,


  • has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions


(Special educational needs and disability code of practice: 0 to 25 years January 2015)


At Swain House Primary School, we make provision for children with a range of difficulties including:


  • Cognition and Learning
  • Communication
  • Personal, Social and Emotional
  • Physical, Sensory and Medical


Who should I speak to if I have a concern about my child’s difficulties with learning?


The class teacher


Is responsible for:


  • Monitoring the progress of all children.
  • Providing Quality First Teaching that is carefully adapted to the needs of pupils to ensure that all children reach their full potential.
  • Identifying, planning and delivering any additional support that may be needed. This might include targeted learning, small group work or a personalised curriculum.
  • Discussing any initial concerns with you and highlighting these concerns to the school’s SENCo.
  • Writing and evaluating Individualised Education Plans (IEPs) for pupils who need them and sharing these with you each term.
  • Ensuring that they follow the school’s SEND policy.
  • Ensuring that any other adults who work with pupil with SEND in school are aware of their strengths and difficulties.
  • Helping other adults to deliver the planned program to help individual pupils to meet their targets.


The SENCo and Inclusion Manager – Mrs Samantha Keenan


Is responsible for:


  • Writing the school’s policy for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
  • Coordinating all of the provision for pupils with Special Educational needs or Disabilities.


Ensuring that you are:


  • Made aware of any concerns regarding your child’s progress.
  • Involved in supporting your child’s development.
  • Involved in evaluating and reviewing your child’s progress towards set targets.
  • Liaising with outside agencies to support your child’s development.
  • Updating the schools SEND register (a system for ensuring that the needs of pupils with SEND are known).
  • Ensuring that there are in-depth records of pupil’s needs, targets and progress.
  • Providing support and training to teachers and teaching assistants so that they can help all children to reach their potential.


The Headteacher – Mrs Dianne Richardson


Is responsible for:


  • The day-to-day management of all areas of the school’s work, including provision for pupils with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities.
  • Working closely with the SENCo and class teachers to delegate responsibilities and to ensure that the needs of all children are met.
  • Keeping the Governing Body informed of any issues related to SEND.


The Governing Body


The designate governors for SEND are Clive Halliwell and Arafa Ahmed.


The Governing Body are responsible for:


  • Determining the school's general policy and approach to provision for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in co-operation with the Headteacher and SENCo.
  • Establishing the appropriate staffing and funding arrangements and maintain a general oversight of the school's work.



How are Special Education Needs or Disabilities identified and assessed at Swain House Primary School?


Initial concerns about a child’s progress or development may come from:

  • Your child’s class teacher expressing concerns that a child’s progress has slowed or stopped or that they are finding learning, or any other area, especially difficult.
  • Our rigorous assessment cycle highlighting that a child has not made the progress expected or that they are falling behind other children of their age.
  • A health professional such as a GP or Health Visitor following a medical concern or diagnosis.
  • Previous educational settings such as previous schools, nurseries or Children’s Centres.
  • You, approaching school, the class teacher or SENCo with your concerns about your child’s development or anything you may have noticed at home.
  • Your child expressing concerns about their own learning or development.


How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child?


Initially your child’s teacher will speak with you either at parents evening or at an arranged meeting to discuss their concerns. They will listen to your views on your child’s learning and will discuss with you any additional support that they feel would benefit your child and discuss short-term targets. Where further support may be needed, the SENCo will contact you to review the provision that has been put in place and to gain your views on your child’s progress. This may involve the implementation of further in-school interventions or referral to an outside agency.


What expertise and training do staff have in relation to children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities?


We have staff in school with specialised expertise. Mrs. Keenan completed the Post Graduate National Award in Special Educational Needs in January 2020. Mrs. Broadbent and Miss Armitage, our experienced Learning Mentors, work with children who have barriers to learning, particularly regarding their social and emotional development. Staff regularly undergo training and the school is supportive of the training needs of staff. Our SEND support team can screen your child to identify specific learning difficulties such as visual stress or dyslexia. We also commission a Speech and Language Therapist to work with children with language difficulties.


What support is available for my child to support their Special Educational Needs or Disabilities?


Quality First Teaching


  • Teachers have high expectations for all learners.
  • Teaching is based on in-depth knowledge of your child’s strengths and difficulties and builds on what they can already do or understand.
  • Teaching is carefully planned to help your child to meet their personalised targets or to fill an identified gap in knowledge or understanding.
  • Teaching takes into account your child’s preferred way of learning and may include the use of additional equipment.
  • The use of specific strategies (possibly identified by the SENCo or outside agencies) to meet your child’s needs.



Specific small group work


An intervention run by a teacher or Teaching Assistant which is specially focused on helping a small group of children to meet their individualised targets.


  • May take place in or out of the classroom.
  • The adult leading this group will be trained to do so and will have a clear understanding of children’s strengths and difficulties.
  • Carefully planned to fill an identified gap in knowledge or understanding.
  • May include the use of additional equipment and will take into account pupil’s preferred learning styles.
  • Your child’s class teacher with the support of the SENCo regularly monitors the impact of the intervention with clear outcomes recorded on a bespoke intervention plan.


Support from ‘Outside Agencies’


Where it is felt that a child has additional needs or barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and Specific small group interventions advice may be sought from professional agencies outside of the school.


This might include:


  • Local Authority Services such as Learning Support Services, Educational Psychologist etc.
  • Agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy Service (SALT).
  • Medical professionals such as the School Nurse.


What would this mean for you and your child?


  • Your child will have been identified as having additional needs which the school feels requires more specialist input.
  • You will be contacted to discuss your child’s needs and will be asked to give your permission for a referral to a specialist professional to go ahead.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to more fully understand their needs and may make recommendations for strategies to meet their needs.
  • The school will discuss with you the conclusions and recommendations of the professional and what support/ strategies will be put in place to support your child.


Specified Individual Support


Where your child is identified as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group support, which cannot be provided from the budget available in school, an Educational Health Care Plan (EHC plan) may be applied for. Alternatively, a request may be made for a non-funded ‘My Support Plan’.



What would this mean for you and your child?


  • Your child has been identified as needing a high level of individual support.
  • Specialist professionals will have been involved in trying to meet your child’s needs.
  • The school (or you) can apply to the Local Authority for a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal assessment in which your views and those of professionals who have worked with your child will be considered.
  • If the Local Authority agrees that your child’s needs are severe and complex enough to need a Statutory Assessment additional information will be gathered and will be used in the writing of an EHC plan. You and your child will be asked to contribute to this.
  • An EHC plan will have long and short-term goals for your child. It will set out the specific targets, how support should be used and what strategies will be used to help your child to meet their goals.
  • The EHC plan will be reviewed at an annual meeting in which you and the professionals involved with your child’s provision will discuss their progress and set new short-term targets.
  • If the Local Authority do not agree that your child’s needs are severe and complex enough to require a Statutory Assessment then the school will be asked to continue to provide personalised support.


What ‘additional provision’ may be offered at Swain House Primary School?


We implement a graduated approach based on the guidance from Bradford Metropolitan District Council’s Children’s Services for SEN. This is based on an Assess-Plan-Do-Review ‘Graduated Approach’. If a child has an Education, Health and Care Plan, then we provide the support detailed in the plan. For these children, an Individual Education Plan (IEP) will be updated by the teacher using the objectives from the plan as guidance. These will be completed in collaboration with the child where appropriate and you will be invited to express your opinions on targets, provision and progress and where appropriate, your child will be invited to attend the review. An Annual Review will be held by the SENCo for children with an EHC plan, to which you will be invited.


The SEND Department at Bradford Children’s Services can be contacted on 01274 435750 or by post at:


City of Bradford MDC

Dept. of Children’s Services

Margaret McMillan Towers

Princes Way




Bradford has its own Local Offer website, which provides a new way of giving children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and their parents or carers information about what activities and support is available in the area where you live. To visit this website go to https://localoffer.bradford.gov.uk/


How is additional provision recorded?


The school uses a ‘provision map’ to show the additional support that is given to all children with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities. This allows us to clearly see what additional provision has been put in place for each child and to identify any gaps that there may be in the provision offered. Where a child’s needs are more specific they may have an Individual Education Plan (IEP).


How will my child’s progress be assessed and reviewed?


Children’s progress will be assessed three times a year and reviewed against their personalised targets. In addition, children with an IEP will have their targets reviewed regularly. This will be done in consultation with parents.


What should I do if I have concerns about my child?


If you have any concerns about your child’s learning or development you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially. This can be done at parents evening or by telephoning the office on 01274 639049 to make an appointment. If you continue to have concerns please ring to make an appointment with the SENCo, Mrs. Keenan. If you feel that your child’s needs continue to be unmet please contact the Headteacher.


How will Swain House School help my child in transition between phases?


Swain House Primary School recognises that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.


When moving to another school:


  • Contact will be made with the school SENCo to ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • All records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.


When moving classes in school:


  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All IEPs and relevant documentation about your child will be shared with the new teacher.
  • Children will also visit their new class for a morning in the summer term – meeting all of the staff who will be working with them.


In Year 6:


  • The SENCo will meet with and discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCo of their secondary school, and pass on any and all relevant documentation.
  • Focused learning about aspects of transition to support understanding of the changes ahead will be completed.
  • Visits will be made to the new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit Swain House Primary School.
  • Some children will be offered extra small group or individual visits to the new secondary school if it is felt that this will be beneficial.


How will Swain House Primary School ensure that my child has access to facilities and extra-curricular activities?


Swain House Primary School is an inclusive school and actively seeks to promote the inclusion of students with SEND. We use our best endeavours to ensure that all students with SEND are able to fully participate in the life of the school, both in their learning and in the wider provision and life of the school. Adaptations and provisions are made for SEND students to enable them to participate in all areas of school, school trips and other out of class activities. This includes wheelchair access, hoists, lifts, shower room and disabled toilets.


Swain House Primary School is very experienced at including children with additional needs in extra-curricular activities and we make provision for all children to attend any of the after school clubs we offer. Any concerns regarding our extra-curricular activities can be discussed with our Learning Mentor – Mrs. Sarah Broadbent. Swain House Primary actively try to ensure that all our extra-curricular activities are adapted for children’s specific needs. All pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities are invited to participate fully in school trips, four residential visits, extra-curricular clubs, art endeavours, sports teams and school committees (e.g. our School Council). Swain House Primary School Breakfast Club, After-School Club and Extra Club also offer inclusive and high quality provision before and after school. They too are very experienced at including children with additional needs in all activities.


Swain House Primary is a host school for the Service. Deaf and Hearing Impaired pupils are admitted to the Resourced Provision (RP) from across Bradford. In addition to the mainstream school, staff pupils are taught for some of their timetable by specialist staff. This extra provision means that additional training and advice for parents, pupils and staff can be offered within an environment which has acoustic advantages and facilities.


How does Swain House Primary School consult and work with parents and pupils?


If you have any concerns or questions about your child, you can speak to their class teacher at the end of the day or at any other convenient time by making an appointment. In addition to this, you will have an opportunity to speak to your child’s class teacher at Parent Consultation Evening three times a year. The SENCo, Mrs. Keenan, is available to meet with you – please make an appointment at the school office.


If your child has a statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC) you will be invited to an annual review meeting where all professionals working with your child will contribute their views and make decisions about future provision. Your views form an important part of this meeting. Your child’s views will also be sought and will form an important part of this process.


Throughout the year your child’s class teacher and the SENCo may invite you to meetings to discuss your child’s progress and provision or to meet with other professionals. It is very important that you attend these meetings. If any changes are being considered to your child’s provision or any concerns arise we will always seek your views and consult with you before any changes are made.


Other professionals will also seek your views e.g. the School Nurse, Educational Psychologist or Speech and Language Therapist.


There are a number of parent support groups such as Parent Partnership and Bradford Families Information Service.



Reviewed by Samantha Keenan

Next review – September 2022